Thread: Beginner's Guide: Lessons

Ski Resort
    Copper

Beginner's Guide: Lessons

Lessons
    You absolutely should take a lesson right off the bat. DO NOT try to teach yourself how to ski or snowboard, because if you do you will likely fail miserably, get frustrated and give up, or you could even get hurt. My wife (then girlfriend) and I learned this the hard way. After 30 minutes of yelling at each other and throwing snow we gave up, called it a trip, and drove the 7 hours back home (we lived in NC at the time). It was an absolute disaster. We didn't know what we were doing wrong, and we really didn't know what to do in the first place. Even if you have a friend that says they will teach you, I'd advise against it unless they are EXTREMELY patient or they have experience being an actual instructor. An instructor does this for a living, and they have the proper training to get you up and running as quickly and as safely as possible.

Go to a smaller resort. You only need a bunny hill in the beginning so why pay more for a bunch of terrain you can't even use? Of course, all resorts have beginner programs so feel free to go wherever you'd like. Most resorts run deals for all inclusive beginner packages that will save you time and money versus piecing things together yourself. The packages will include everything you need to get started: lesson(s), rental gear, and your lift ticket for the day. I've even seen resorts that will give you a season pass at the end of a 3-day beginner's package.

It's always good to rent as a beginner because if you find out you don't really like the sport you're not stuck with expensive gear that'll just sit in the basement until the end of time. Some gear you will probably need to buy or borrow, but I'll get into that later.
    09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 08 Salomon Maori | 10 Burton Moto

Ski Resort
    Breckenridge
    I'd disagree with the part about not trying to teach yourself. I used internet videos to teach myself and had I progressed fairly quickly. Self teaching isn't for everyone and in MOST cases it's probably better to get a lesson.

However I'd definitely recommend getting a lesson instead of having a friend or spouse trying to teach you. The first few attempts at skiing or riding are extremely difficult and can be frustrating for both parties. An instructor has much more experience with these situations and will be better equipped to handle it.

Ski Resort
    Copper
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuture View Post
    I'd disagree with the part about not trying to teach yourself. I used internet videos to teach myself and had I progressed fairly quickly. Self teaching isn't for everyone and in MOST cases it's probably better to get a lesson.

However I'd definitely recommend getting a lesson instead of having a friend or spouse trying to teach you. The first few attempts at skiing or riding are extremely difficult and can be frustrating for both parties. An instructor has much more experience with these situations and will be better equipped to handle it.
    We did the internet videos to teach ourselves, we didn't get lessons till our first time riding in CO. We were afraid of the new state, but it turned out we were fine the day and just rode with the instructor. But, had we done lessons from the beginning it wouldn't have taken us so long to get to where we are now.