Thread: Just Another Weekend in CO...

Ski Resort
    Purgatory

Just Another Weekend in CO...

Last weekend turned out to be a freaking BLAST and I felt it was worthy of a TR....even if my snowboard wasn't involved.

Saturday morning was a nice ride up to Silverton for Ski Joring. What? Yeah, Ski Joring!

The concept: skier on a tow rope behind a horse running through an obstacle course consisting of "gates", small jumps, and plastic rings up on poles the skier AND the horse rider have to grab (and hold onto). Fastest time wins.

Stopped for a drink during the race -- good bloody mary!

Driving down into Silverton....a TRUE-to-life mining town (and they just announced a silver mine in the area is being prepped to open again):

Main Street, Silverton (the only paved road inside the town):

The drive up and back was absolutely beautiful!

BC / Tele tracks EVERYWHERE:

Molas Pass Summit - 10,910ft elevation:

Twilight Peak at Coalbank Pass:

Ski Resort
    Purgatory
    Sunday was.....SNOWMOBILING!!! OMG fun fun fun fun fun I am so freaking HOOKED! I have too many toys as it is already, but dangit I want one! haha Groomed "trail"...it was actually a county road (that I drove on back in November) that's closed for traffic in the winter when there's snow laying. Part of the way up the road is gated and any vehicle traffic is off limits. This spot is only about 2 miles behind my house, a place called Missionary Ridge -- there's a lake up there too...if I got to do the 3hr ride instead of the 2hr ride I'd made it to the lake. However, the outfitter only does self-guided tours and doesn't let folks fly solo. Others that day only signed up for 2 hours.

Ski Resort
    Purgatory
    Friday and Saturday night I enjoyed a few basketball games at Fort Lewis College. Friends are boosters and we got special seats down courtside on the baseline. Yeah it's Div II but was still pretty cool. Fun was fun while heckling the visiting coach when he got his panties all up in a huge bunch. LOL

(and yes I've been to high school basketball games bigger than this, but it was still defo fun!)

Post-game interviews Friday night -- girls wearing pink for Breast Cancer awareness:

Silent Auction was held for charity -- jerseys were signed & I won one of them:

Oh, and on the way up to Silverton Saturday I passed the Durango Narrow Gauge Rail, just about a mile past my house. I was supposed to be on that train but they were sold out. Thanks. Another weekend...

Ski Resort
    Copper
    Nice TR! We did the narrow gauge train from Georgetown to Silver Plume that was a lot of fun. We did the mine tour too. One of these days we'll make it to your neck of the woods.
    09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 08 Salomon Maori | 10 Burton Moto

Ski Resort
    Purgatory
    I have a spare bed, an inflatable queen mattress, and two loungers that sleep nicely...open invite!

Ski Resort
    Copper
    Quote Originally Posted by mommehK View Post
    I have a spare bed, an inflatable queen mattress, and two loungers that sleep nicely...open invite!
    Thanks, you can count on us coming out once it warms up

Ski Resort
    Breckenridge
    Nice pics, looks like you had a quite a trip and snow conditions also look like they were good!

The horse tow is quite interesting, would have loved to see some video of that!

Ski Resort
    Purgatory
    I actually have video of the ski joring...just haven't ever uploaded it to YT yet.

Ski Resort
    Copper
    Quote Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
    Thanks, you can count on us coming out once it warms up
    I've been busy and just got back on the site. Does your offer still stand? My wife is off this summer till August now that she FINALLY got hired at a public school.